Estwing is another world renowned name in the manufacture and designing of handheld, striking and struck tools. They are leaders in the field of innovation and design of tools and design them so as to meet the uppermost possible standards of the industry. They make a wide range of products such as hammers, axes and other specialty tools.Review of Estwing Sportsman’s Splitting Axe is here for your comparison with other tools.
As mentioned, they believe in constant innovation and have recently set a new benchmark in the tool industry by the inventions of their patented, specially designed shock reduction grip in 2001. It absorbs the shock which is felt upon impact, thereby reducing the stress on the hand, helping you work tirelessly for a longer duration. Estwing E14A comes with this technology by default. This has been a yardstick for other manufacturers to follow suit. And it does all this without compromising on the ease of use, resilience or attractiveness.
Estwing Sportsman's Axe
1. Full-tang handle 2. Leather grip 3. Nice leather sheath 4. Long lasting handle
Review of Estwing Sportsman’s Splitting Axe
- Size- 12”
- Dimensions- 12.5” X 4.8” X 1.1”
- Weight- 1.4 pounds
- Leather Grip
- All American steel
- Hand Sharpened Edge
- Nylon Sheath
- This is an all-American product and a huge favorite ever since the inception of the company in the 1920’s. The best feature of this axe is that it is forged in one piece, which means both the head and the handle of the axe are made from the same metal piece and there are no joints. As such, there is no chance of the head getting loose and consequently getting dislodged. Not only is it good for sturdiness, but also important from the point of view of safety.
- The balance and temper of the blade are exceptional and are rarely found in this weight and price range. The grip too is unique. It is made of genuine leather and has an unmatched finish because of being sanded and lacquered. However, this can be a slight inconvenience as for some people, the handle becomes too slick to be worked with gloves on. In that case, you can sand off the varnish and treat it with oil. This will not only increase the grip but also the overall life of the handle.
- The nylon sheath that comes with it is attractive as well as impeccably well-built and strong. It protects the blade efficiently and can itself undergo a lot of wear and tear.
- The steel used in making this axe is 1055 carbon steel. All the products have been heat treated to ASME safety requirements. The cutting edge is tempered to 2 and ¾ inches and is individually hand sharpened.
- Solid. That’s how it feels in your hands. As a tool which is required for heavy duty chopping around the camp or for other purposes, you wouldn’t want something flimsy or fancy. This axe gets the job done and any seasoned user would feel the difference that this product brings.
- The leather wrapped handle is not only better than the other variants available in the market but if taken care of properly, it lasts for a long-long time giving good support and less shock upon impact. It does not tire the hand needlessly.
- The front part of the blade is used for cutting and as such the edge is totally up to the mark for the job. The back end of the head is flat and can be used for hammering, for instance, driving the tent nails into the ground or other such jobs around the campsite. It is not like a hammer butt. Instead, it is flatter and comparatively wider. This increases the surface area and hence it can be used for a variety of chores.
- The blade is covered with lacquer varnish which can chip off after regular use. As such when the metal is exposed, it can catch rust easily. Therefore, proper care and maintenance of the product are required to ensure that you get long and satisfactory service from it.
- This is slightly heavy and is not recommended for hiking or other activities. The tool for hiking is hatchets, this is an axe, and it works beautifully either at a campsite or in your backyard for chopping firewood.
- One-piece design
- Feel of the grip
- Heavy-duty chopping
- Protective sheath
- Can rust easily if not taken care of
- Slightly on the heavier side
This axe from Estwing is a very safe bet for those who require a solid and sturdy tool for every day chopping. Its effectiveness has been proven over the years. The only drawback is that it needs looking after, be it the blade or the grip. But, any long term tool needs proper attention to perform its best and this is not too steeply priced for the service it provides.